Stuffed bell peppers is one of my favorite meals! The “stuffing” will last for days so you can have a tasty, hearty and healthy meal after work with no hassle! You don’t even have to eat it out of a bell pepper, just add an avocado on top and you have a delicious, filling Mexican quinoa salad. You can adapt this recipe however you would like, but I always enjoy finding ways to incorporate as many veggies as possible into my meals! It’s almost a game for me 😂 and its one you should try! The more veggies you can sneak into your diet, the better!
Total Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes | Yields: 6 servings
- 3 large bell peppers
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn (I get mine from trader joes)
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 can black beans (rinsed for less sodium)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili lime powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice your bell peppers in half. Wrap each halved bell pepper in foil with a little oil. Cook in oven for 25 minutes.
- Add one cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water (or veggie broth) and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer and cover until liquid is absorbed (15-20 minutes).
- Heat your iron skillet (or whatever is the largest pan you use) over medium heat with avocado oil. (I use avocado oil because it has the highest smoke point)
- Add your diced onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and corn to the skillet. Sauté until onions are caramelized and translucent. Then add in rinsed black beans.
- Add the cooked quinoa into your skillet. Mix it in to the other ingredients, and then add in your seasonings and lime juice.
- Stuff your bell pepper half with the quinoa mixture, and lay over a bed of purple cabbage (optional 😉). Top with avocado and enjoy!
Hi, I’m Dana! Creating delicious plant-based meals and nutrition is my passion! Thanks for visiting!