This is honestly my favorite snack to make. It is so easy, its the perfect energizing snack, its healthy, and you can create so much variety with it! One ball is low in calories (125cal), high in fiber (4g) and protein(5g), and contains healthy fats to keep you full between meals! Combining fiber, protein, and healthy fats is key to a filling snack. Not to mention these little balls of joy are absolutely delicious! Ask any of my family members and friends! Not to mention it literally only takes 5 minutes and 1 bowl to make… doesn’t get any easier than that!
If you are looking to lose weight, fiber is the answer. It is found in grains, bran, rye, and in lots and lots of fruit and veggies. The one thing these all have in common is they are low in calorie, nutrient dense, and the fiber content keeps you satiated! Forget counting calories, start counting your fiber. The RDA for women is 25g and the RDA for men is 35g, however I say the more the merrier. Just remember to start slowly if your body is not used to consuming this much fiber. Going 0-100 will give you a stomach ache!
Ok, on to the recipe!
Total Prep Time: 5 minutes | Yield: 12-14 balls (depending on size)
- 1/2 cup creamy salted peanut butter (or almond, cashew, or sunbutter)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (remember when I said you can create variety with this snack?! Feel free to sub this out for dried fruit, mashed banana, or whatever else you can think of to give these balls extra flavor!)
- To a large mixing bowl, add peanut butter, maple syrup, rolled oats, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, and cacao nibs. Mix until well combined. If too dry/crumbly, add more peanut butter or maple syrup. If too sticky or wet, add a little bit more oats or flaxseed meal.
Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Then scoop out 1 1/2 Tbsp amounts and roll into balls. The “dough” should yield about 13-14 balls.
- Enjoy immediately and store well-sealed leftovers in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month (or more).
Thanks for reading! I hope you guys enjoy this snack as much as I do!
Hi, I’m Dana! Creating delicious plant-based meals and nutrition is my passion! Thanks for visiting!